Intechnic
Users Developers
Home / Forums / In-Portal CMS / General In-Portal Discussions / In Portal Question / Topic Posts

In-Portal Forum

This is a place for users of In-Portal to ask questions, discuss various topics, and interact with other members of the In-Portal Community. Please report bugs through the Bugs Team (not the Forum). If you are interested in contributing or joining one of the many Teams for In-Portal, please check out the Contribute section of the website.

In-Portal Forum

In Portal Question (49)

Posted: 08/11/2003 1:32:00 AM

Reply Quoted  

I am 100% in favor of updating In-Link at the expense of In-Portal. The reason? I wanted and purchased a link app. I don't need or want a portal system.

Static pages, please!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bpuetz on 2003-08-11 01:35 ]</font>

Posted: 08/11/2003 7:22:00 PM

Reply Quoted  

I vote for releasing a minor inLink upgrade, assuming it addresses customer suggestions or bugs and is not just a token release with one file updated.

inPortal is vaporware, to me. I have no idea when it will be available, how much it will actually meet my community's needs and how much time it'd take to retrofit my site(s) to suit it. Further, I'm QUITE pleased with vBulletin (forum) and PhotoPost (image gallery) and have no plans to change to some new, version 1.x (or beta) software that's been "in the works" for over a year and purports to solve all my needs...

I love inLink. I do wish it were more accurate and more search engine like (better boolean and phrase searches; faster search results; or HTML pages for better search engine indexing). I have no plans to switch to a competing product, but I also have no plans on maintaining my membership with inLink... in fact, I'm fairly certain my membership lapsed. Why would I know, since the only reason I come here is to see if somehow, some way, there's actual information (like a beta site to surf around) on inPortal's development.

That's my vote and comments...for what they're worth.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wildtexas on 2003-08-11 19:24 ]</font>

Posted: 08/13/2003 3:33:00 PM

Reply Quoted  

Hi everyone,

I tallied up the vote and it comes out something like 6:8 in favor of another In-link before In-portal (Some people were not very clear, so its +- 2 votes either way).

As you can see, it's a difficult decision and people are divided about it - I see two quite distinct "camps" - a group who just wants a better In-link, and a group who wants a lot more beyond In-link's capabilities. To make everyone happy, we need to release In-portal with a heavily improved In-link 3 yesterday... :smile:

Since In-portal is not going to be ready fast enough, I think we will work on the next In-link version, 2.3.0 release.

The exact list of features will be determined in the next couple of days (I will migrate the discussion to the In-link section of the forum), but I am afraid really *major* ones are not going to be a part of it - like the static version.

Posted: 08/13/2003 4:22:00 PM

Reply Quoted  

"improved In-link 3 yesterday"

OK, I'll vote for that.

Posted: 08/14/2003 12:19:00 AM

Reply Quoted  

[quote:ffb5bcc250]
On 2003-08-13 16:22, charpress wrote:
"improved In-link 3 yesterday"

OK, I'll vote for that.
[/quote:ffb5bcc250]

And me!

Posted: 08/14/2003 6:37:00 AM

Reply Quoted  

I've said all along: I purchased In-Link because it looked as though it was on a strong development path -- a Links Engine path. Sadly In-technic has fallen far short of this promising outlook. With the last major feature enhancement of In-Link dating back to 12/24/01 (a lesser improvement as late as 2/02) it has now been well over a year and a half since, with weak improvements and few bug fixes.

The distraction? The source of such clear failure? The promise of something that has yet to show any signs of life in nearly two years of anticipation. A portal package that few asked for, and even fewer were looking for when they purchased In-Link.

So, what has the result been of this dismal execution of a very poor decision? In-technic has lost the advantage and momentum it had with In-Link 2+ back in early part of 2002 and managed to alienate its customer base by promoting vaporware that is clearly outside of their ability to produce.

Good job.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: leeherron on 2003-08-14 06:41 ]</font>

Posted: 08/14/2003 11:26:00 AM

Reply Quoted  

Lee,

Why are you so bitter about it? We have always been on the same development path. The only difference between now and 2 years ago is that now we decided to take a bigger step at one time.

Before, you used to see minor updates every month. Now, in order to accomodate futher features, we had to redo the foundation of the program - so that's a larger, much longer step.

Posted: 08/14/2003 2:16:00 PM

Reply Quoted  

I'm bitter because I licensed your product in good faith. The license is inclusive of a year of updates which there have been precisely none since I ordered. When the next revision arrives, we're now going to be expected to pony up for renewed access to the members area I suspect. Fair enough under normal circumstances, but you've openly admitted to ceasing to work on in-link for considerable time and now almost a year later you're going to start work on getting a new version out. My point is - any upgrade should be delivered cheaply/free to those of us who have got nothing in the way of upgrades in the year. I hope you've considered that much at least.

FYI I'm acutally in favour of the in-portal solution and buying integrated modules as needed (as long as we get the in-link module we bought already for free).

Posted: 08/14/2003 3:43:00 PM

Reply Quoted  

[quote:1fb5aed5c1]
On 2003-08-13 15:33, Pavel wrote:
Since In-portal is not going to be ready fast enough, I think we will work on the next In-link version, 2.3.0 release.
[/quote:1fb5aed5c1]

This is a great news...
Thanks,
Media

Posted: 08/14/2003 7:45:00 PM

Reply Quoted  

Jay (and everybody else),

Because of such delays with In-portal, we are extending everyone's support and free upgrades until it is released. So every current In-link user will get a free In-link 3, no matter how long ago their support expired. Those users, who already renewed their support, will have an additional year of In-portal support avaialble.

I believe Andrew has explained that several months ago.

Page:     1 2 3 4 5